Friday, December 18, 2009

On prayers...

Whenever I tuck the boys into bed, I give them each a turn to say their prayers. Last night, Ian said his very short prayer & then said, "I'm tired of saying those words every night." You see, when they want to "get on with it" they just to ramble out a prayer and it's usually the same one every night - thank you for my family, thank you for this day, help us to have a good sleep, etc.

So I told him that I could help him think of some other things to say...like thank you for my friends and teachers at school, thank you for my primary teacher, please bless the missionaries, etc. I gave him a kiss, turned out the light and Ian says, "I've got a good one!...I really love...I really love...what is that word that starts with a 'J', Mom?" Uhhhh.... "Oh yeah! Jesus!" I told him that was a great one and said goodnight.

As I was closing his door, he says, "I thought of anoder (another) one! Bless our house to be worm (warm) and comfy." And with that, I had to give him another goodnight kiss!

2 comments:

Mike and Marianne said...

Kid's prayers are the best and that Ian is so cute!

Ethan has taken to praying for everything under the sun. Like "Please bless that I'll get a Santa hat to wear to school." or "Please bless that Mitchell will turn in his homework."

Paul and Linda said...

A funny little side-story to this was Little Boy Jeff who prayed for the Prophet Harold Believe !

And a "how far we've come" ... when I was first teaching in Sandy, UT. at the Edgemont Elementary (1963-65) we opened the class each day w/prayer. One of my 3rd graders prayed for the President ... David O. McKennedy ! Talk about church and state !